In 1805 John Shaw wrote a letter to President Jefferson in which he expressed his admiration for the President's politics and introduced himself as "a native of North Carolina, descended from European parents." He had been in the Natchez District and active in politics as early as 1797 when he served on a Citizen's Committee whose duty it was to keep order until the Spanish struck their colors and pulled out of Natchez. Andrew Ellicott, surveyor general and government representative who was present for the occasion , noted Shaw as "an itinerant attorney of some education and abilities."
Shaw was a dedicated Republican who supported Jeffersonian policies completely, an avid member of the Mississippi Republican Society, along with friends such as Thomas M. Green, Cato West , Judge David Ker and Edward Turner. He was never shy about his
stand and was constantly in one political battle or another. He and Judge Thomas Rodney had a disagreement about the qualification of territorial judges which led Judge Rodney to attack him as "a quandam pillmaker from the frogponds of North Carolina."
He was the first settler of Clifton, also named Hayes City, which he called Lowenburg.In addition, he was the first postmaster of Greenville in Jefferson County, MS, and a practicing physician there. In 1804-1805, he served as a representative from Jefferson County to the Mississippi Territorial Legislature. He was one of the founding members of the Franklin Society in Greenville in Jefferson County in 1806. Also that year, he was commissioned by the governor as an attorney in that county.
During the 1807-1811 era, he was involved in may activities, including editing for a time, the Mississippi Messenger , one of the first newspapers in the territory and printing the Acts of the Territorial Legislature. For several years, he served a member of the Natchez Mechanical Society which was a city council of sorts, and in 1810 became its president, similar to a mayor of today. During this time his life was never dull. The Attorney General of the Mississippi Territory, Seth Lewis, even brought suit against him and other prominent Republicans who were giving Governor Williams a very difficult time.
By 1815, he moved to Franklin County, Mississippi where he continued as a doctor, lawyer, and postmaster. He and the Baptist minister, Bailey Chaney, were arch political rivals. Shaw wanted the Mississippi Territory divided into the two states of Alabama and Mississippi; Chaney did not.
Shaw ran successfully against Chaney for the legislature seat from Franklin County in 1817, and in July was a member of the State Constitutional Convention. Unfortunately, he died during the session on August 1 at the home of Anthony Campbell near Natchez. For the remainder of the convention all delegates wore black crepe armbands in his memory and honor. Judge Edward Turner said of him, ”He was a man of wit and honor, an ardent politician, and a caustic writer, well educated and a respectable poet.”
Partridge in Debow's Review in 1860 said of him, “His style was rough, rasping, and vigorous, and his power of ridicule and satire were of the highest order. He was also a poet of the Hudibrastic school, and was famous for epigrams and pasquinades. He
belonged to the Jeffersonian party and, for the reason mentioned, was greatly dreaded by his adversaries. He lived at Natchez, and afterwards at Greenville, in Jefferson County, once a gay, refined and thriving village, but now entirely extinct. Dr. Shaw was for a longtime a member of the Territorial legislature, and was also a member of the convention which framed the first constitution of the State of Mississippi.” Known descendants of John Shaw were Thomas Breckinridge Shaw, Elizabeth Shaw, Mary Shaw, and Saxton Shaw. I descend through Elizabeth who married Robert Griffing April 4, 1807, in Jefferson County, Mississippi.
Sue Burns Moore
REV. JOSEPH BULLEN
Presbyterian Pioneer Minister
The Rev. Joseph Bullen, pioneer Mississippi and Jefferson County settler, was born on 8 July 1750, in Brimfield Massachusetts. He was a member of an old colonial family, being the fourth generation in America.
From an interview recorded many years later, Joseph said as a younger son, he was designated for the church. Therefore, he went to Yale College, from which he graduated in 1772. Evidently, graduation implied ordination, and as a Congregational minister.
On 11 February 1774, he married Hannah Morse, and in subsequent years nine children were born. Later in 1774, he became minister of the church in Westminster, Vermont. After eleven years there, he moved his family north to very rural Athens, Vermont. There he engaged in a variety of occupations - a minister first, also a schoolteacher, a miller, and a farmer.
In 1788 and 1791 he was elected to the Vermont Colonial Legislature. In its "Proceedings" he is frequently mentioned, active for his district, and as a chaplain. Particularly noteworthy was "a patriotic sermon" delivered before that body. An unanswered question, not mentioned in the various Bullen studies, is why did he leave an established and obviously successful life to become a pioneer missionary? Perhaps it was the benign influence of his distant cousin, George Whitefield, the great colonial evangelist? Whitefield came several times to New England, and his final journey was to nearby New Hampshire.
In 1796, the newly organized New York Missionary Society published an appeal for "missionaries to the destitute parts of the country." Joseph was the sole applicant, and following his commissioning he and his son, Joseph, then age 16, left on horseback to make the trip to the Mississippi Territory "to work among the Chickasaw Indians."
Close to present day Pontotoc, the two men began a school, teaching and preaching. Joseph reported regularly to the Society, and his letters were published in its Magazine. From these, and in subsequent writings, it is evident that Indian service was not an unqualified success.
The following year, the men returned to Vermont, where they gathered Hannah and five children to go back to Mississippi (Two daughters remained in Vermont, and one other, sadly, died on the journey). In 1802, Joseph finished his obligation to the Society, and settled in Jefferson County, north of Natchez. There he farmed, and began establishing Presbyterian churches- five in all. One of these, Bethel, organized in 1804, is the oldest Protestant congregation in the Territory. How he became Joseph, Presbyterian minister, instead of Joseph, Congregational minister, is a minor mystery. Probably one was so alike the other, change was informal and quick.
Joseph, the oldest son, went north to live in Tennessee. The remaining sons and daughters married and began Mississippi families; descendants are living in Jefferson County and throughout the state. Seemingly happy and content in his successes, but frail and old, Father Bullen died 26 March 1825. He and Hannah are buried in a now-abandoned cemetery in Jefferson County. Relatives restored the markers and graves in time for the Bicentennial. The direction to the cemetery is designated by a state highway marker.
...Submitted by Robert W. Bullen
Born a slave on Rocheland Plantation, was owned by David Harrison. His father, Washington Bullen, was a Harrison slave, but Claiborne continued in that estate only a few years, for he was born in 1860. He went to school in a barn and was taught by a Miss Day, a white woman, during Reconstruction Days. He finally attended Rust College at Holly Springs; his father paid his expenses the first two years, but he worked his way through the last two. On his way back to school the third term he
didn't have money enough to pay his fare all the way to Holly Springs, so the conductor put him off the train and he walked the rest of the way. After reaching there he secured work with a white family and they permitted him to continue his studies at Rust.
After finishing at Rust he returned to Fayette and taught a small school for negroes. He was then nineteen years of age. Later he received his masters degree from a Chicago University, and taught English at Alcorn College, a state agricultural mechanical college for negroes in Claiborne County for fourteen years. After leaving Alcorn, and teaching in West Point, in a negro Baptist college, he returned to Fayette, his home, and was elected principal of the Fayette Negro High School in 1918 to succeed Howard, who died that year. This position he held until his death in 1934. In 1880, he married Lucy Brown, of Fayette, and to this union were born five children, now living in Fayette. LEOLA Bullen, wife of Claiborne Bullen, Jr., is now teaching in the Fayette negro school. There were four generations of the Bullen family who used the name Claiborne, a thing seldom done among negroes. In 1916 he married Alice Kemp, of Tensas Parish, Louisiana.
Contributed by: Ann Allen Geoghegan from data gathered at the American Memory Project
(Webmaster's note: This article was not dated but would have been from sometime around the late 1930's.)
JACQUES LOUIS BEAUBE (BEAUBET)
Pioneer French Seaman
Jacques Luois Beaube (Beaubet), who first appears in the Norman E. Gillis list of "Early Inhabitants of the Natchez District in 1810," was born in Cherbourg, France on Oct. 31, 1749. He was the first son of Gilleaume (William) Beaubet (s/o Jacques Beaubet and Jeanne Henry) and Marie Francoise Commenchail (d/o Jacques Commenchail and Kuenira Sarjois) of Cherbourg. He came to America sometime between 1778 and 1783 as a French seaman employed to fight for the colonists during the American Revolution. He had married Marie Anne Coquet on
September 4, 1773 in Cherbourg, but there is no record that she ever came to America. From his French military records, it appears that he made several voyages to America before finally settling on the bank of Cole's Creek near the Adams-Jefferson County line in what is now Adams Co. The exact location is not known. Why he chose to settle in Jefferson Co., MS will forever remain a mystery. It is most likely that he received a land grant as payment for military service for on Sept. 1, 1829, his legal heirs were given a deed to..."Fraction Seven of Township Eight of Range two east containing Seventy Seven Acres and
Seventy eight hundredths of an acre of land directed to be sold at Washington, Mississippi..." Perhaps a venturous spirit caused him to migrate to the newly opened Mississippi Territory near the turn of the century to explore the unknown. Is it possible that the area in which he settled reminded him of his French homeland where had had been a fisherman by trade before he enlisted in the French Navy in 1776? Sometime around 1810, he took as a second wife, Susan Butcher who has been identified by Henry W. Beaube, a grandson, to be a Choctaw Indian. It has been impossible to document her nationality because Indian records were not kept at the time she was living. She appears as head of household in the Jefferson County census records from 1830 to 1850. It is strongly believed that she was either an Indian or of a mixed race, for at her death between 1854 and 1860 she was buried alone in a purchased grave site near the Jefferson-Franklin County line. She most likely was denied burial in a white cemetery due to her nationality. Her daughter, Sarah Elizabeth "Sallie" Beaube Coffey and other descendants are buried at New Hope Baptist Church Cemetery in Franklin County. Louis Beaube left Jefferson Co. before Feb 23, 1829, for on this date "Susan Baube maketh oath that Louis Baube absented himself from said County about three years ago, that he previous to leaving declared his intention of returning in six months that she has not seen him since that hence she believes said Baube to be dead." Oral tradition has it that he returned to France. In 1826 he would have been 77 years of age; therefore, this ggg-grandson concludes that he died somewhere along the way unknown to anyone. At least five
children were born to this union of Jacques Louis Beaube and Susan Butcher: The daughters--Luminda Beaube Cook (Seymour), Sarah Elizabeth "Sallie" Beaube Coffey, and Susan Ann Morley; two sons--Michel Beaube who moved to Tensas Parish, LA where the name became Bobee, and James Beaube. Many descendants of Sarah Elizabeth "Sallie" and James have been identified and can be found in the family history, LEES AND RELATED FAMILIES OF SOUTHWEST MISSISSIPPI.
Information submitted by Billy G. Lee.
Solomon Cole, son of James Cole and Mary Rentfroe was born about 1760 in Ashpole Swamp, Bladen County, North Carolina. The family moved to "Natchez Country," Mississippi in 1772. They located at "Coles Creek," named for our Cole ancestors. Here, Solomon married Elizabeth Davis, widow of Charles Simmons. They had two sons named James Simmons and David D. Simmons (Black Dave). Solomon Cole received a Spanish Land Grant claim #756 of 200 acres, situated on the waters of Coles Creek, Natchez District dated: 4 January 1794. On 12 February 1778, Solomon Cole bought from his brother, Stephen Cole, 300 arpents of land on Coles Creek, for $150.00. A Spanish Grant #1380, donated to Stephen Cole. One month later Solomon Conveyed the 300 arpents to William Thomas for the sum of $600.00, making a nice profit. On February 7, 1804, Solomon and Elizabeth Cole sold their home, the original Spanish Grant #756 of 200 acres to Buckner Darden for $400.00. They moved their family from Coles Creek to St. Landry Parish, Louisiana in 1804. Solomon and his brother James located land on the Plaquemine Brulee. Solomon acquired 529 acres from Isaac Johnson, the original claimant. It was situated on the stream and bounded on the North by James Cole's land grant. Solomon Cole served as a Police Juror (Justice of the Peace) in St. Landry Parish from 1811 to 1818. He later moved to a vacherie at Prairie Soileau. "When James and Solomon Cole moved from Coles Creek, Mississippi in 1804, they joined former neighbors by names of: Hayes, King, Forman, Simmons, McClelland, Reeves, Bilbo and Roberts. They all settled on each side of the Plaquemine Brulee stream in St. Landry Parish. James Cole was the original claimant by settlement and occupancy of 400 acres. Solomon Cole acquired his 529 acre Spanish Grant from Isaac Johnson, the original grantee. A tributary of Bayou Plaquemine Brulee ran through both James and Solomon's land, named Coles Bayou or Gulley. A certain location was known as Coles Cove. This area was also, "ColesSettlement," since that was the name of the first Post Office established in 1832. Evidently, this Post Office was located on the Solomon Cole land, some five miles north and east of present Crowley, Louisiana. Abraham Cole, son of Solomon was appointed postmaster, January 24, 1938. Two persons who gave bond were Jacob Simmons and William Forman, son-in-law of Solomon Cole. We do not know why the Coles became dissatisfied with the Plaquemine Brulee location. Perhaps, floods or pestilence caused crop failures. James Cole sold to Malachi Stanton, " a certain tract of land, situated in St. Landry Parish at a place called, Tasse Point, on a Gulley [Coles) of Plaquemine Brulee, containing 400 acres and being in the WesternDistrict of the Territory of Orleans, no State of Louisiana...in consideration of the sum of $350.00" Dated: October 15, 1821 ) Bk. F p. 97-St. Landry Parish, La.) BAYOU DUBONNE, St. Landry Parish. The Coles probably, started moving westward in St. Landry Parish after this date of 1821. Solomon Cole died in 1825 and his Succession papers read, "Judge George King went to the Cole Vacherie [small ranch) in Prairie Soileau on Beaver Creek to make an Inventory of the estate." Out intermarried families of Cole, Forman and Simmons are found together in the 1830 Census of St. Landry Parish in the area of "Bayou Dubonne," 60 miles southwest of Opelousas. This is the western part of the Parish cut off for Calcasieu after selling his grant on the Plaquemine Brulee is not known. The Court House was burned down and all records were destroyed in Lake Charles in 1910. We cannot check deeds, marriages, conveyances, and probates for our Cole, Forman and Simmons families. The relationship of Solomon's family is established by his Succession Papers filed in Opelousas Court
Records. Named is Elizabeth Cole, widow of the deceased, James Cole, a son, James Forman, a son-in-law is requested to "tutor" his minor son, "Stephen Cole," Stephens portion of his father's estate was left in the care of his Uncle James Cole Sr., half-brother, David Simmons, and his brother-in-law William Forman. The Solomon Cole land was purchased by William Forman with the "reservations that, the widow, Elizabeth Cole and son Stephen Cole were to live on the 'home place." Other children of Solomon Cole were not named in the St. Landry Parish records but, we can identify those who married from the Bonds.
.....Submitted by ...Your Most Obedient Servant, Stephen D. Forman, Commander, Granbury's Texas Brigade SCV Camp #1479, 11th Texas Cavalry Co. A, 12th Texas Cavalry Parsons Dragoons, Deo Vindice
Richard Curtis, Jr.
First Baptist Minister in Mississippi
Richard Curtis, Jr. was born in Dinwiddie County, Virginia, on May 20, 1756; son of Richard Curtis, Sr. and Phoebe, widow of William Jones.
Richard Curtis, Sr., and family (there was a stepson, John Jones, who married Anna, daughter of William Brown on 28 Jun 1768, and five sons and three daughters) resided in 1775 on the Great Pee Dee River, near the mouth of Black River, South Carolina, but came to the Natchez Country in 1780, where Richard Curtis, Sr. died near Cole's Creek on November 10, 1784.
Accompanying Richard Curtis, Sr. to the Natchez Country were 3 sons, a stepson (John Jones) and 2 sons-in-law, three of whom later became pioneer citizens of Amite County: (1) son Richard, Jr. and his wife Pattie; (2) Son William Curtis and his wife; (3) and daughter Hannah Curtis, wife of John Courtney.
Richard Curtis, Jr., who had been licensed as a Baptist Minister in South Carolina in 1778, began to preach throughout the Natchez Country but especially in the Salem Community near Cole's Creek. In 1795 he ran afoul of the Spanish authorities for preaching and officiating at the marriage of his niece, Phoebe Jones to David Greenleaf, and he was forced to return to South Carolina, where he was ordained in 1796. He returned to the Mississippi Territory in 1798, and as Moderator helped to organize in due and ancient form Salem Baptist Church on Cole's Creek in Jefferson County as a regular Baptist Church, the first in Mississippi.
On May 9, 1806, Rev. Richard Curtis, Jr., assisted by Rev. Thomas Mercer, Rev. James Courtney from South Carolina, Rev. Isaac Jackson from New Providence Baptist Church and Rev. Jonathan Curtis from Salem Baptist Church, constituted the Ebenezer Baptist Church on Beaver Creek in Amite County and was the first Pastor.
Among the charter members were Mary Curtis, and his brother-in-law, John Courtney, both with letters from Salem Baptist Church on Cole's Creek.
Mary Curtis (wife or daughter?) dismissed by letter on October 1, 1808.
Rev. Richard Curtis, Jr., was Pastor of New Hope Baptist Church in Adams County, Mississippi (organized in 1800 and was the second Baptist Church in Mississippi), and a messenger to the Mississippi Baptist Association in 1808-1811.
Rev. Richard Curtis, Jr., was disallowed a claim of settlement on Beaver Creek in Amite County in 1802, because the land was not improved, but was granted 320 acres there in 1808. He is listed as a citizen of Amite County in the Census of 1805 and 1810. (A relative also named Richard Curtis is listed in the
Census of 1810 and 1816.)
Rev. Richard Curtis, Jr. died of cancer on Beaver Creek in Amite County, Mississippi on October 28, 1811, and is buried in the yard of what was years later the residence of Dr. W. b. Kinnabrew, about 1/2 mile from Ebenezer Baptist Church, and there is a marble obelisk in the churchyard.
John Courtney, brother-in-law of Richard Curtis, Sr., was appointed delegate from Ebenezer Baptist Church of Amite County, Mississippi on January 31, 1807, to attend the organization meeting of the Mississippi Baptist Association at Cole's Creek Church.
He settled with his wife, Hannah Curtis, and 7 children on 666 acres on Beaver Creek, Section 30, Township 1 north, range 3 east in November, 1802.
Brother Benjamin Curtis, brother-in-law John Stampley, a Baptist Minister, and half brother John Jones and their families settled in the Cole's Creek area of the Mississippi Territory.
(The author of the above, who remains anonymous, inserted following note. jtd)
The second Baptist Church organized in Mississippi was located at the confluence of Big Bayou Pierre and Little Bayou Pierre in Claiborne County, Mississippi. This area is not in the city limits of Port Gibson, Mississippi.
The second Baptist Church in Mississippi was organized in 1798, in Claiborne County, Mississippi and was know as Bayou Pierre Baptist Church. It ceased to exist in 1825
Frank Alexander Montgomery was born in 1830 in Adams County, MS. He was the grandson of Cato West. He grew up in Jefferson County, MS and attended Oakland College near Rodney. When Frank married Lottie Clark, they lived at his mother's plantation which he inherited when she died at a young age. In their 7th year of marriage they sold the plantation in Jefferson County and bought a new plantation in Bolivar County, MS. It was from here that he served as a Lt. Col. in the First Mississippi Calvary, Armstrong's Mississippi Brigade during the Civil War. In 1880 Frank was elected a state legislator and was returned to the House in 1882, 1884, and 1896. He also served one term as Judge of the 4th Circuit Court of Mississippi.
In 1901 Frank Montgomery wrote an autobiography which is online. It is called "Reminiscences of a Mississippian in Peace and War." This book (300+ pages) is about his life and times in Mississippi from 1830-1900. The index includes many Jefferson County, MS names. It is very interesting reading.
Click here to read this book!
...Submitted by Carolyn J. Switzer
THOMAS LEE, SR.
Thomas Lee, Sr., born in KY circa 1788, first appears in the Norman E. Gillis list of "Early Inhabitants of the Natchez District in 1810." Research has found a Thomas Lee living in the household of Major John Lee in Woodford Co., KY in 1802, as is documented by the will of Major John Lee. Thomas married MILLY GENNETTE BAREFOOT (BARFOOT, BAIRFOOT) who was born in MS before 1810; however their marriage record has not been found in any of the southern states. Gillis' list records him as being under 21 years of age with a wife under 25 years of age. Thomas and Milly were simple farmers who lived a meager life as is noted in the inventory of Thomas' estate after his death.
Ten children are known to have been born to Thomas and Milly. Four sons--John Lee (1809); James P. Lee (1815); William M. Lee (1819); Thomas Lee, Jr. (1931) and six daughters--Sarah Lee McFate Boggs Smiley (1811); Martha "Patsy" Lee Brown Hughes (1814); Jane Lee Reems (Reemes) (1817); Milley Gennette Lee Stephens Emfinger (1820); Elizabeth Lee McCoy Lazarus (1821); and Adaline Lee Delaney (1829). It goes without saying that these ten children produced many descendants. These line have been traced in LEES AND RELATED FAMILIES OF SOUTHWEST MISSISSIPPI.
Thomas died in Jefferson Co. on March 17, 1860. Milly moved to Franklin Co. where she last appears in the Franklin Co. census of 1870 residing in the household of her son, John Lee, in the Veto community. Thomas and Milly are either buried in unmarked graves or in a cemetery in Jefferson Co. where their markers have been destroyed by the ravages of time.
Information submitted by Billy G. Lee.
My 4th Great Grandparents George Forman and Sarah Erwin were in the Natchez District in 1790 and settled on Coles Creek.
George Forman was one of the early settlers of the Mississippi Territory. The Spanish Census for The District of Natchez in the year of 1792 lists "Jorge Forman" with 350 acres, 3 W/M's under the age of 10, 1 W/M 16-26, 1 W/F under 10, 1 W/F 16-26, with 36 steers, 25 milk cows and 9 pigs.
--Spanish Census 1792 Villa de Gayoso
William Erwin is listed adjacent to George, he apparently is George's father-in-law, George's wife is Sarah Irwin/Erwin. This land is located on the waters of Cole's Creek and on St. Catherine's Creek. This appears to be the same area settled by Ezekiel Forman of Philadelphia, Pa. brother of General David Forman, of Monmouth County New Jersey, and Revolutionary War Hero.
Cole's Creek was named for the Cole family, and Susan Cole marries William Forman, George's son in Opelousas, La. in 1812.
I will also note here that Ezekiel Forman's land is on the Bayou Sara and he shares ownership of another 1000 acres with Richard Butler. This is important because it establishes a contact between the Butler's and the Forman's of George's line.
The above information is from documents found in "First Settlers of The Mississippi Territory"--Grants taken from the American State Papers--Class VIII Public Lands, Volume I, 1789-1809. Distributed by Ericson Books 1614 Redbud Street, Nacogdoches, Texas 75961.
George Forman is also credited with helping build the first Church in Natchez, Mississippi Territory with Ismy Forman, his brother. This was in 1803, according to the Reverend Moses Floyd. Edward Forman,Theophilus Marble, and John J. Robertson, and Thomas Owens also helped build the church.
1785-Chart prepared by Winston DeVille, at June 1963 meeting of Louisiana Genealogical Society in St. Landry Parish Court Room in Opelousas, La. Now in Jim Bowie Museum, Opelousas, La.
Under Commandant De Clouet 30 July 1785
Thomas Huffpower George Forman Ismael Forman
Source: The Hoffpauirs of Louisiana... Rosemary Wright Hoffpauir. This has been used by the Hoffpauirs to gain entry into the DAR-apparently these three are listed among Galvez's troops possibly who fought with the Spanish against the British in Mobile and Pensacola during the American Revolution.
George is buried in Old Bethel Church Cemetery-Sec. 22-T8N-R1W On Cannonburg Road at intersection of Hill Road-Across from the Bethlehem Church-the front portion of the cemetery is Bethlehem's behind it is Old Bethel Cemetery.
........Submitted by ...Your Most Obedient Servant, Stephen D. Forman, Commander, Granbury's Texas Brigade SCV Camp #1479, 11th Texas Cavalry Co. A, 12th Texas Cavalry Parsons Dragoons, Deo Vindice
Samuel, David and Ezekiel Forman
Early Pioneer Colony (1792)
When he was thirteen years old, Samuel Forman ran onto the Battle Field at Monmouth, NJ. He was deeply interested in the history of the Revolutionary War. He was instrumental in erecting the Monument at Monmouth.
He later owned a flat bottom boat and took his Uncle Ezekiel Forman, his family and 67 Negro slaves down the Ohio River to Natchez, Mississippi where his Uncle General David Forman had arranged for the purchase of some 1200 acres from Spanish Governor Gayoso for the purpose of starting a tobacco plantation.
Major Samuel S. Forman wrote a narrative "Journey Down the Mississippi and Ohio." I can produce copies of the Spanish port reports showing the arrival of Ezekiel Forman, from Monmouth County New Jersey, he was the brother of General David Forman, revolutionary commander of the Forman Regiment. Also of the Forman family was William Gordon Forman, who served in the first legislature of Mississippi.
.....Submitted by ...Your Most Obedient Servant, Stephen D. Forman, Commander, Granbury's Texas Brigade SCV Camp #1479, 11th Texas Cavalry Co. A, 12th Texas Cavalry Parsons Dragoons, Deo Vindice
Jefferson County MSGenWeb Project - footer
Monday, 10-Nov-2008 15:06:03 MSTYou are visitor number
All rights reserved. This
information may be used by libraries and genealogical societies,
however, commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited
without prior permission of the owner. If copied, this copyright
notice must appear with the information.Copyright of submitted items belongs
to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise
Information on these free web
pages may be linked to but may not be copied other than for personal,
These pages may not be
copied, altered, converted nor uploaded to any electronic system or
BBS, nor linked from any "pay-for-view" site, or linked in such a
manner as to appear to be an internal part of another site including
but not limited to "frame" capturing, nor included in any software
collection or print collection of any type without the express written